While you may have thought you needed a good excuse to enjoy a piece of dark chocolate, the truth is the delightful and ancient superfood ingredient found in high-quality dark chocolate, known as cacao (cold-pressed, un-roasted cocoa beans ), has more to offer your health than you may realise.
In ancient texts, cacao was described as a sacred superfood, often referred to as food of the gods. The cacao bean and its consumption date back thousands of years. It was used as a powerful, healing food and in ancient ritual and ceremony.
Today, there is much science and research that proves that cacao has many benefits for your body, mind, and soul.
5 health benefits of this sacred food:
- Antioxidant Protection
- Improved Brain Health
- Immune Boosting
- Improved Insulin Sensitivity
- Nature’s Aphrodisiac
Spoil yourself and your family/friends with a healthy and delicious cake, especially made for Easter!
Recipe – Cacao Easter Cake
Prep time: 10 mins
Bake time: 60 mins
½ cup good quality unsweetened dark cacao powder
½ cup coconut flour
2 ½ teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
pinch of sea salt
6 organic eggs
½ cup raw honey or maple syrup
125 ml extra virgin olive oil
125 ml coconut milk
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- Preheat oven to 160C (fan oven)
- Combine the cacao, coconut flour, baking powder and sea salt into a mixing bowl
- Add the eggs, honey, vanilla, coconut milk and olive oil
- Mix well until smooth and combined (a whisk works well for this)
- Pour into a 20 cm baking tin lined with baking paper
- Bake the cake for 55-60 minutes or until cooked through (test after 45 mins as oven temperatures may vary)
- Remove from the oven and cool
- Serve with raspberries for an extra antioxidant boost and some Greek yogurt if desired