There is something very comforting about a warm bowl of soup during colder months. A small bowl of soup at the beginning of your Christmas meal can whet your appetite for the main event; plus, it can be highly nutritious!
For this soup, the star ingredient is the Jerusalem artichoke, which is complemented by truffle oil. Blended Jerusalem artichokes have a silkiness that makes for a luxurious soup which tastes absolutely divine. Jerusalem artichokes contain high amounts of inulin, which is a prebiotic that supports digestive health, as well as a variety of insoluble fibres.
Meanwhile, many truffle oils are made with an olive oil base. The benefits of olive oil include its composition of healthy monounsaturated fats, as well as its anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to improve gut health and immune function.
Takes: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1kg peeled, sliced artichokes (peeling makes the soup smoother, but just scrubbing them works as well)
- 1 litre chicken stock (homemade would be perfect)
- 100ml single cream (for a lighter version, use semi-skimmed milk or dairy-free variety)
- 100g ground toasted hazelnuts
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To serve: White truffle oil
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
2. Add the onions and fry very gently for 5 minutes.
3. Add the artichokes and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the artichokes are tender.
4. Add the hazelnuts and blend the mixture.
5. Season to taste. Reheat gently while stirring in the cream.
6. Serve the soup in your prettiest soup bowls with a drizzle of truffle oil.